Wednesday

Master Bedroom Remake... The Bed

I have been wanting to makeover the master bedroom for years (when you see the "before" picture at the end of this post, you'll know why...) This is one of the afters...


About 4 years ago, I was cruising the isles of a furniture store...looking for ideas, and found the perfect set.  It was white with brown edging (later...after I crawled out of my rock, I realized it was distressed) on the dresser drawers, bed posts, etc.  The set included a bed frame with head & foot board, dresser with mirror and night stand.  On sale, the set cost over $1400... which in my mind at the time didn't seem that bad!

Two weeks later Hurricane Irene struck the Outer Banks, taking out the only road leading south to Hatteras Village, and leaving me unable to work for the rest of the season (a minor inconvenience compared to what was happening to the residents further south).

I ended up with a lot of time on my hands that winter... and not a whole lot of money.  I "window shopped" a lot during those months in every thrift and used furniture store around.  I came across an antique bed in excellent condition.


They were asking $150 for the set (including rails and slats) and the woman offered it to me for $100.  After an hour talking myself into it, I brought it home.

This was my first time using ASCP (Old White)... I knew nothing about "bleed through" or how to wax, or anything else.  But I had the internet, and a lot of help from people willing to share their projects.


I started with the foot board.  It took me a solid week and three coats of paint, but I never had problems with bleed through (thankfully, 'cause I wouldn't have know what it was or what to do).  I sanded the edges where I thought they should be sanded, and all around the spindles- just kinda' winging it while trying to remember what the $1400 bed looked like.

And the waxing?? I couldn't move my arms for days!  Still haven't found a short-cut for that process!


It took me over 2 weeks to finish it.  But I loved it... and I loved the process (even waxing).  It sat in the workshop for months, waiting for its new home.  I just couldn't bring up that beautiful bed and put it in that depressing bedroom.

It would be eight months before the room was done and the bed was brought up.  Many a night was spent sleeping on the mattress and box springs on the floor, with cardboard boxes for a night stand and a ladder to prop up the TV.

The wallpaper border had to be stripped, the walls primed and painted, I needed new dressers (I only had one, and it wasn't the right style), new curtains, new bedding, and the list just continued.  Did I mention I wasn't working? Yeah... a little bit of a roadblock, for sure!

I took my time (for once) and did basically everything myself.



The bed was the start...but there's a lot left to share.  

Here is where I started...

(Before photo... circa 1998...not much changed through 2003!)



And the After.... please check back next Wednesday for some of the details and sources.


Elizabeth and Co.

23 comments:

  1. Wow! What a difference and what a wonderful job you have done. Amazing makeover. You should be very proud of yourself.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy... thank you so much for your kind comments and for linking over to my post. I love your Profile introduction... it sounds as tho we have several things in common. I, too have a cat.... only it is referred to as my "Free, $400 Cat". She was "free" to my sons years ago when they were smaller. She was $400 to me after the Vet bills to fix and keep her! Of course she is spoiled rotten!

    Thanks again,

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! What a beautiful bed, bedding, and curtains. I am constantly looking for inspiration for our master bedroom. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. I made the curtains myself, along with some of the bedding items myself. I'll be giving the low-down on those items next week. And speaking of inspiration.... your kitchen is amazing and turned out beautifully. I wish I could work up the nerve to paint my cabinets, but they are solid oak doors that my father made for me years ago and I just don't have it in me yet. But one day....

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:23:00 PM

    I bought an entire set similar to your footboard and headboard that included a dresser and end table. I paid $160. I'm in the process of painting mine and it will be used in our beach house. Yours is very similar. I saw a headboard/footboard in Ethan Allen that was painted and looked very similar for $2000! I get so much satisfaction out of transforming beautiful durable wood pieces! Yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the person commenting above will see this or not (your comment is coming through as a "no reply") but if you do, thank you for visiting. I would very much like to see you bedroom set when you are finished. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Lora, I love your bed!!! Beautiful job! I am looking for inspiration for our master bedroom. We're moving to a 1948 Lakefront Bungalow and our massive king canopy bed will dwarf the master bedroom. I love the scale of yours and the color. Your linens look great. I wish I could put a bed together like that! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I can't imagine how great it would be to live in a bungalow of any kind, much lakefront. You are one lucky girl! The pillows, bed skirt and curtains in the room were made by me and I'll be sharing the details of those things next week. Hope you'll check back in.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely transformation! My bedroom is on the long list of "to-do's" over here. I can't seem to get it done. Like, I don't want to not sleep in my bed while working on the room. :) some day.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie.... it took a lot longer than I thought (as with any project I start) and it was a couple of months sleeping on the mattress and box springs on the floor! Let's just say it will be a while before it's changed again!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. It wasn't easy, but well worth it. But I will say it will be a WHILE before it's changed again!!

      Delete
  7. So pretty! Love your painted bed and the bedding textures are beautiful.
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, Cindy! I've been viewing all the great ideas listed. Feeling inspired!

      Delete
  8. Such a soft and pretty new look! Happy to feature you at this week's party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon...thanks so much for the feature. I need to update my post tonight with your button. Can't wait to come over and get inspired this week. Thanks again!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lora, your new bedroom is lovely! Well worth your efforts. Kudos! I'm a big fan of white paint, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lora:

    It's gorgeous! Would you be willing to share the pattern name/source for your beautiful drapery fabric?

    Pamela
    Pennsylvania French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela... I bought the fabric on-line a couple of years ago. I can't remember the site, but after searching this morning I found the exact same fabric at Fabric.com . The link to the actual pattern is:
      https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=barber&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e. If the link does not work properly, you can search by "design" type... the fabric is called Barber. There are several colors available; mine is the taupe/robin color. Would love to see a picture of what you create!

      Delete
  12. You did an amazing job.......love how the bed turned out!!! And the sweet dresser, love how the top is stained, adds warmth to the room. Beautiful soft and relaxing colors, love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments. There are actually 2 dressers (that I bought at a garage sale for $45 for the pair!). I'll be sharing the transformation on those next week, so I hope you'll come back.

      Delete
  13. Love, love, love your new bedroom! The bed is gorgeous, and the fabric you used looks great! I appreciate that you did so much of the work yourself (painting, sewing, etc). Isn't it amazing how creative one can be when money is limited? Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy Lee. It was definitely a labor of love. Most of my friends thought I was crazy to sew my own curtains, but it was so much cheaper and I got exactly what I wanted. So glad my Mom had me take Home Ec back in the day so I could learn to sew!

      Delete
  14. You did really great! I am scared to death, but dying to try, the entire chalk paint process - i have sooo many things i think it would look great on. IF i don't screw them up. Yours came out beautifully. Love the bedding too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts...

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...