Tuesday

Hand-Made for the Holidays.... Homemade Coffee Liquor


This is an easy and fairly inexpensive gift to make and give.  The added bonus is it doesn't look "homemade" (who makes their own liqueurs, after all?).  All you need is a nice looking container (I bought mine on-line from a wholesale bottle company) that can be sealed (either by screw-on top or cork) and an attractive label and you're in business!


To make it a little more special, gift it with some classic cordial glasses- kinda' adds a little more pizzazz! I've even found some cool looking martini glasses at the Dollar Store (go figure) that looked just great!

You'll Need:

 5 Cups Sugar
1- 2 oz Jar Instant Coffee (if you're using a larger jar you have on hand, use approx. 1 Cup for this recipe)
4 Cups Boiling Water
4 Cups Vodka (I use an inexpensive Vanilla Vodka for a different twist)
1 Vanilla Bean
4 Quart Size Glass Containers w/Lids (I use canning jars... but anything with a screw on lid works)

Boil water.  In the four containers, add 1 1/4 Cup sugar and 1/4 Cup instant coffee.  Pour 1 Cup boiling water into each container.  Stir to dissolve.  Cut vanilla bean into 4 pieces and split down the middle, add a piece to each container.  *Important* :Allow mixture to come to room temperature (think Flambe... alcohol evaporates when heated).  Once mixture has cooled, add 1 Cup vodka to each container.  Cover tightly and store in a dark place for 2 weeks (shaking at least once a week).  Remove & discard vanilla bean and pour liqueur into decorative bottles; cap or cork (with new corks) tightly.  Stores indefinitely.

Makes about 4 1/2 pints (approx. 10 cups)


Depending on the size of the bottles you use to package it in, you can determine the number of gifts you can make and the cost for each.  My bottles are a little larger- about 16 oz. or 2 Cups- so I'll get 5 gifts out of the recipe (with a little left over for the chef....).

Total cost for the coffee (I didn't have any on hand), vodka(out of a large bottle, you'll use about 2/3's) and vanilla bean (not cheap) came to around $19... we'll call it $20, so the 5 bottles I'll get are about $4 each!  Not bad at all!  Try it and let me know what ya' think.




Transformation Thursday

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum! I think I'm going to try this. I love coffee liqueur, well any coffee really :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts...

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...