Thursday

Butter Balls...

(and I ain't talkin' turkey!)  


I started reading this blog about 2 or 3 years ago.  I stumbled onto it by chance and remember spending every morning for a week going back to read every entry from the very beginning.  The whole "vibe" just caught me from the start and I continue to read it until this day.  I have yet to try a recipe I didn't like.

My Dad's from the South (a little town called Brady, Texas- my Mother, a 'Jersey Italian-trust me, they're quite the pair) and biscuits & gravy was a Sunday morning thing for us; usually with chipped beef and sometimes with sausage.  As a kid, it wasn't #1 on my hit parade.... I liked French Toast (although we call it "Egg Bread" and still do- as in...bread...dipped in eggs...).  As an adult, I can tear up some sausage & gravy on toast!

 White Sauce Butter Balls 

2 Cups (1 lb.) Butter- Softened
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tbls Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper (food purists use white.... black works just fine)

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Place by heaping teaspoons on a wax paper line baking sheet (you'll need 2).  Place in the freezer for 20 mins. or so (or until hardened).  Place frozen balls in a zip lock bag and store in your freezer (up to 3 months... mine don't make it that long!)

For White Sauce:  Place 1 Cup milk in saucepan over medium/low heat.  Add 1 to 2 frozen butter balls (depending on size & desired consistency).  As butter balls begin to melt, the sauce will thicken.  Whisk occasionally.  If sauce is too thick, add a little more milk to thin.   

D-Lish:
*Add 1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage to white sauce- serve over toast
*Don't like regular sausage?  Try mild Italian (hey, Mom!) sausage over toasted Ciabatta bread!
*Creamed Spinach (again, not on my Hit Parade!) Halve recipe- add well-drained cooked Spinach & a touch of nutmeg
*Use as a base for Mac 'N Cheese- add grated cheddar to sauce and continue whisking until melted.
*Peas & Pearl Onions.... use slightly thinner sauce, and reduce recipe by half.

And tonight's dinner..... Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy!! (wish you were here, Dad!)

(image)
I would have taken a picture of OUR dinner... but it was gone before I could unzip the camera case.

Try it and let me know what ya' think!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts...

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...