Wednesday

The Perfect "Catch-All"...

I've just completed the first set of antique sewing machine drawers.


This is where I started...



The sides of the cabinets were in pretty rough shape... missing/peeling veneer, warping, and some slight water damage (I love the kids' drawings on the sides of the drawers...)


I clean the drawers and cabinet inside and out, then applied Danish Oil to the unpainted sections of the drawers.  It gives the wood a nice, natural finish without having to use stain.


I had my son make the "caps" for the top and bottom and stained them to match.

The set would be great used in an office for supplies (pens & pencils, ink cartridges, etc) or in the bathroom for additional storage (think brushes, curling irons, or even medications),  The uses are numerous!

I've been working on a "weathered" finish for the singles drawers.....



This finish works best on oak or similar woods with a distinctive grain.  I just watered down Paris Grey paint, applied it with a brush and wiped it off  almost immediately with a dry towel.  One coat of clear wax and call it a day.

I love the way the finish turned out.... but I'm still trying to decide on hardware.

These drawers came without the original pulls,,,, which is usually not a problem as all the ones I've gotten in the past were single knobs and easy to replace.  This had a pull of some kind and I can't find replacements that fit the width of the holes.  Looks like it's wood filler at this point....

The 3 drawer cabinet is listed on my website here and the 2 single drawers will be listed as soon as I've solved the knob issue!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts...

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...