I've just completed the first set of antique sewing machine drawers.
This is where I started...
The sides of the cabinets were in pretty rough shape... missing/peeling veneer, warping, and some slight water damage (I love the kids' drawings on the sides of the drawers...)
I clean the drawers and cabinet inside and out, then applied Danish Oil to the unpainted sections of the drawers. It gives the wood a nice, natural finish without having to use stain.
I had my son make the "caps" for the top and bottom and stained them to match.
The set would be great used in an office for supplies (pens & pencils, ink cartridges, etc) or in the bathroom for additional storage (think brushes, curling irons, or even medications), The uses are numerous!
I've been working on a "weathered" finish for the singles drawers.....
This finish works best on oak or similar woods with a distinctive grain. I just watered down Paris Grey paint, applied it with a brush and wiped it off almost immediately with a dry towel. One coat of clear wax and call it a day.
I love the way the finish turned out.... but I'm still trying to decide on hardware.
These drawers came without the original pulls,,,, which is usually not a problem as all the ones I've gotten in the past were single knobs and easy to replace. This had a pull of some kind and I can't find replacements that fit the width of the holes. Looks like it's wood filler at this point....
The 3 drawer cabinet is listed on my website here and the 2 single drawers will be listed as soon as I've solved the knob issue!