Sunday

Living Room Dresser

I've had this dresser for about 15 years or so.  I bought it during my "I'm gonna' change a dresser into a bathroom vanity" phase (that I still want to do), but it was too tall.


After seeing all of the inspirational postings using chalk paint out there, I decided this would be my first project.


This is ASCP in Graphite.  It goes on a lighter shade of black than I anticipated, at first. Almost a dark grey/black.  But once it's waxed (I used dark on this to deepen the color a little more), it looks amazing.


I left the top alone and just gave it a coat of clear wax and a good buffing.  After staring at it a while, I decided to add a graphic from here to the top using this:


Just a note.... I got this carbon paper the last time we went to Mass. to visit my man's family.  I liked the box itself, not thinking I'd actually use what was in it.  After this project, I'm very happy to have a all three boxes!

By the way... try explaining the concept of Carbon Paper to a 15 year old (who's most likely never SEEN a typewriter, much less used one.)  It's that "I don't gettit..." look!

I took the graphic and increased the size & resolution in Photoshop.  Then cut the larger image into 4 equal parts, pasted those on 4 individual sheets of 8 1/2 x11 paper and printed them out.


Then I trimmed each sheet so it would line up in the middle and taped it all together as one piece.  Then I taped that one piece, centered on the top of the dresser, with painter's tape on the left side (so I could lift the image as I needed without moving it out of place.


Then it was just a matter of placing a sheet of carbon paper between the image and the dresser top and tracing the image.  Some Graphite paint, wax & buffing, and this is what I wound up with:



Because of the height of the dresser (not to mention the glare from the windows and the skylight above) it was difficult to get a really good shot, or even one that shows the entire piece.  But it turned out beautifully and I couldn't be happier with the result.  Eventually this will be moved to the big vacant wall on the other side... it's a start!


Linking up to: 


you are talking too much

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I could do so many things if I just new how to use photo shop and my printer better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dresser in black.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts...

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...